Tips for Effective Truck Fleet Washing
Trucks are designed to transport goods and materials, haul various cargo and tow smaller vehicles. Some trucks are used for off-roading or high-adventure trips, whilst others are utilised for other heavy-duty purposes such as in the construction and mining industries.
No matter the purpose for which they are used, trucks are exposed to more dirt and grime than smaller vehicles. Whilst this can make it more difficult to clean trucks, it is not an impossible task especially with the right cleaning agents and tools.
If you care about your fleet or your client’s fleet, ensuring that the trucks are well-maintained involves using only the best products to clean them. Envirofluid’s Triple7 Metallic Touch is a high-tech vehicle wash that is readily biodegradable, non-reactive to surfaces, and is so versatile it can be used to clean trucks from top to bottom, including wheels and tyres. It is safe to use on all surfaces including glass, chrome, duco, plexi-glass, stainless steel, rubbers, plastics, vinyl and canvas.
Cleaning Materials Required:
- Bucket with water (optional)
- Spray bottle (optional)
- Triple7 Metallic Touch
- Envirofluid Portable Foamer
- Non-metallic brushes (for wheels and tyres)
Before You Start:
It’s important to ensure that the engine is cool, and the vehicle is away from direct sunlight. Water and cleaning agents will dry quicker under the sun or on a hot surface and will leave unsightly water spots and swirl marks. Wheels and tyres must also be cool to avoid warping rotors, brake discs, etc.
NOTE: Make sure to use appropriate PSI and nozzle tips when washing the truck with a pressure washer. Start 3-5 feet away from the vehicle and move closer as required in order to avoid potentially damaging the surface of the truck.
Keep nozzle further away when cleaning fragile parts of a truck, such as the windshield, windows, lights, etc.
Directions for Truck Washing:
- Pre-treat insects, wheels, tyres, brake dust, tar, grease and badly contaminated areas by mixing 40ml of Triple7 Metallic Touch in a 2-litre bucket and spray.
- Allow to stand for 15 minutes for the pre-wash to penetrate. Scrub if necessary and repeat if required.
- Rinse the truck with water from top to bottom to dislodge loose dirt.
- After rinsing the entire vehicle, clean the wheels and tyres first. They are the dirtiest parts of a truck and cleaning them first will prevent splashing and spreading wheel well dirt all over the freshly-cleaned truck. Use Triple7 Metallic Touch neat or diluted between 1:2 and 1:5. Spray on the wheels and tyres and leave for 10 minutes. Scrub with non-metal brush, then rinse.
- Pour a mixture of 1:10 Triple7 Metallic Touch into snow foamer.
- Apply the mixture to your truck using the portable foamer from the bottom to the top. Allow to stand for 10 minutes.
- For problem dirt areas, take a soft bristle brush and work on the hard-to-remove dirt or grime.
- Rinse with water from the top of the truck downwards. Any un-rinsed residual product will protect paintwork and resist soiling.
Pro Tip: Triple7 Metallic Touch continues to repel dirt particles from the surface after it has been cleaned making it look cleaner for longer. Additionally, the product is a natural oil/water separator and wash-down helps keep drains clean and odour-free and enhances oil/water separation and system performance.