Dirt, insects, bird droppings, sand, rain, grease, stones are all road contaminants that can compromise windshield visibility and potentially endanger motorists. As such, it is of the utmost importance to regularly
clean your windshield and wipers.
Whilst it’s a given that windshields are cleaned together with the rest of the vehicle, drivers will sometimes have to look after the cleanliness of their windshield whilst traveling, especially long distances, so it’s important to have the necessary cleaning agents and materials on hand.
There are quite a few videos and articles on the Internet using various products like soda and shaving cream, among others, as hacks for cleaning windshields. Those products can get on the paint and discolour it, so it’s best to stay away from them. Ammonia-based glass cleaners are also a no-no since they can damage the tint on the glass; not to mention, it isn’t the safest for humans.
It’s best to use Triple7 Glass Shine, a high performance, bio-based glass and mirror cleaner that leaves surfaces clean and polished without using toxic chemicals. It can be used for a variety of applications including mirrors, windows, glass, and glass surfaces. This powerful formulation removes the toughest deposits whilst being gentle on humans and the planet.
Follow these simple and easy tips to get your windshield cleaned in no time.
Cleaning Materials Required:
- Spray bottle
- Microfibre cloth
- Triple7 Glass Shine
Before You Start:
Make sure to wash any vehicle out of the sun and when it is cooled down to prevent the water and cleaning agent from drying too quickly, as this can leave streaks or swirls on the surface.
Always leave the windshield for last when washing a vehicle to prevent it from catching any residue from the overall washing. Hard-to-reach places, such as the edges of the windshield and underneath the wiper blades, can harbor a lot of contaminants so pay special
attention to them.
Directions for Cleaning Your Windshield:
- Park your vehicle in a safe, shady place and make sure the windshield is cool before you start cleaning.
- Pour a 1:10 dilution of Triple7 Glass Shine into a spray bottle.
- Lift the windshield wipers out of the way.
- Choose which half of the glass you’ll clean first. Fold the microfibre towel or other lint-free cloth into quarters and spray Triple7 Glass Shine on one side.
- Lightly glide the microfibre towel with Triple7 Glass Shine on the area starting from the centre and moving outside, in an up-and- or side-to-side motion.
- Flip the towel over, and using one dry side, buff the windshield to a clean finish.
- Spray Triple7 Glass Shine on another side of the towel and go over the top, side and bottom edges (underneath the wiper blade) of the side you just cleaned, to make sure to remove any contaminants that may still be remaining in those hard-to-reach areas.
- Flip the towel over to another dry side and buff the edges you just cleaned.
- Repeat the same process on the other half of your windshield, taking extra care again with the top, side and bottom edges.
- Next, wipe down one wiper blade with a wet side of the microfibre towel to remove any debris that is stuck to the blade and can be dragged onto your windshield.
- Repeat the same process on the other wiper blade.
For more tips on using Triple7 products to maintain your vehicles, click the links below: